One Month On : Mistakes Were Made!

So it is now exactly a month since my operation. During that time I have basically had to re-learn how to do a lot of things and there is a lesson to definitely be taken from these weeks that have gone by…..don’t rush things. I’ve learnt that the hard way.

So firstly, as per my tradition, a song (I’ve gone with one that feels appropriate for what I am about to talk about)…..

So yeah, I left hospital just over three weeks ago and confidently thought that I could return to work very quickly. I let my two weeks of being housebound come and go and then returned to work. Yes, you read that right. Three weeks after having a major surgery that left me barely able to walk or stand up for more than a few minutes at a time, I was back at work. My reason for thinking this was that I am a supervisor, meaning that with my job I can easily delegate tasks and although I normally like to be exceptionally hands on, I thought I could easily get by whilst my body recovers.

I was wrong.

Within five days of returning to work it was clear I had gone back too early, and even returning on absolute minimal duties was beyond me at that stage, causing various sutures to come undone and things looking like a car-crash down there. Maybe that is a bit of an exaggeration, but yeah, it certainly isn’t as it is supposed to be, with a large, fleshy wound currently just below the vagina. It’s not particularly painful, but even going to toilet has become a chore as putting anything more than minimal effort in has resulted in blood loss.

Some of that lasted for just a few seconds of bleeding, similar to popping a spot, whereas on one occasion at work I had to stay in the toilet for 25 minutes due to a constant flow of blood, and by a flow I don’t meant like a small cut on a finger level bleeding, I mean flow that would be similar to if your nose had been destroyed. If I am being honest it put me off going to toilet for a few days.

That is however easier said than done, with a near constant pressure that is hard to ignore. For the first three weeks post surgery, if I needed to go, I had to go. I couldn’t hold it in. Holding it in became nigh on impossible and it wasn’t until just a few nights ago that I didn’t have to wake up two or three times during the night due to needing to go to the toilet.

Anyway, on Thursday I decided to finally get the wound checked out as it didn’t seem to be healing very quickly, even though I was largely off of my feet. Whilst there they saw instantly that I had an infection and by the looks of it, it had been there for several weeks. That would explain why I have had a few troubles since the op, so hopefully the antibiotics will help with that.

Other than all of that there isn’t a lot to report. As I said this whole month has been about learning all over again. Whether it be walking normally again (which believe me, is easier said that done), or simply going to the toilet, I am slowly getting there.

But yeah, keep in mind that if you are considering the operation, or even know someone who is, that pacing is everything. Don’t rush in thinking that everything will be ok just because you think it will.


One thought on “One Month On : Mistakes Were Made!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s